Monday, January 31, 2011

Photo I Always Wanted To Shoot - maybe

This week, instead of going on a photo trip, we all made the mistake of *not* traveling together and doing our own shoots.

Maybe it was the weight of the assignment on our shoulders.  Maybe it was the feeling that we all had such different visions that we wouldn't be able to help each other out.  Maybe it was a bit of pride and self-doubt and we didn't want our contemporaries to see how out-of-control or neophyte-like we really were with our tactics, cameras, ideas... Maybe it was that we didn't want our ideas compromised or wanted a little bit of "surprise" with the images we were going to produce.

Maybe it was none of these things for the others, and maybe it was all of these things for me.

I don't know - but what I do know is that Derek and I worked great together during my shoot with my model, Lela, after his shoot was cut short by a mentally unstable pool owner.  Derek and I talked about it all afterwards and decided that the most efficient and - well - *mature* thing to do was to help each other out as assistants.  We knew what we needed, we had equipment, one or the other, that was compatible with what we would need to accomplish, and we were all on the same team.  The competition, really, was with ourselves, not each other.

We learned that the lack of control with the setting, situation, people and equipment was the difference between a "good shot" and a "grab shot" (see Derek's blog).

With all that said - here are the shots that made the cut from my own attempt at a conceptual image and photographic design...





The third one made the grade as far as what will be turned in as the assignment.  Hopefully it does well in its attempt to please our professor / client.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! A nun. I like that look on their faces. It is perfect to depict the cold-blooded righteousness of the true believer, for I had seen the human face of the monsters and beheld the monstrousness of these men. Best wishes from Romania, my friend! ;)

    ReplyDelete