Friday, January 21, 2011

Not Good Enough

In a world where there are so many aches and pains brought on by outside forces, why is it that we beat ourselves up most of all?  It seems that we hold back many times because we feel that what we've done isn't good enough to show others.  We fear ridicule, or criticism, or rejection.

I think it may be the rejection that might be the worst of them.  Ridicule can be hurtful, true, but the source should always be considered.  Criticism, then should be taken with open mindedness and candor.  If it comes from a respected source, then all the better to get their wisdom and accumulated knowledge as well as insight into what may be improved.

But rejection... Rejection hurts.

I think it's all the more painful when the rejection comes from within; when I reject my own work even before it gets to be ridiculed or criticized.  That's the core of this piece.  It's a metaphor of what we all do to ourselves at one time or another.  It may not be in photography, or painting, or sketching, or baking or any other 'artistic endeavor.' It may be that we beat ourselves down as parents, as neighbors, as friends, as workers...  We don't spread our wings as far as they can go because we don't want to be rejected by those who don't fly as high as we might.

This isn't always the case for everyone - there are those who laugh boldly at rejection and follow the beat of their own drum, so to speak - thumbing their nose at their scoffers.  Those people are successful. They may not be altogether 'famous' by how the world now measures fame, but they are true heroes who should be emulated.

I will keep trying to silence my internal rejector, and help my naked creator stand strong, clothed in the light of pure creativity.  Now, to take some images....

"Not Good Enough" Multiple images taken with Canon 7D, ISO 400, f/9.0,
AWB, 24mm focal length. Manipulated with PS5. ©Carlos Paradinha Jr.

3 comments:

  1. I understand you my friend. It is because of rejection that my art is formed....and you know what? I hope that it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These past weeks I have been considering what it means to "take on an offense" .....also, "self worth" vs "self esteem" .... I am thinking the world has it wrong in their push for self esteem when it is self worth that frees us to do all that HE would have us do, whether we feel we are up to the challenge or not! You are gifted and wired for a purpose! I enjoy your work! :) I hope to take photography classes soon, when I grow up!!! I do enjoy looking through the eyes of another's camera, and there is a lot to see through mine as well...you inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry there is so much pain in sensitive, good people like you. You have communicated it very well. Don't stop expressing yourself. I like sharing the journey with you. The journey of learning photography as well. :)

    ReplyDelete