Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Becoming New Again

Have you ever gotten something from somewhere, or made something with your hands and really liked the way it came out, put it away (or moved a few times, misplacing it in some haphazard box), and then forgot about it for a while?  Have you then found that 'thing' and looked at it with "new eyes" (a new perspective)  and made changes to it with the upgrades and updates to your thoughts and feelings?

I have.

I've taken some images that I thought were pretty outstanding - but I dislike what I do for the most part.  Well, it's not that I dislike it, I just feel I should be doing "better" than I am, and I'm my own worst critic (reference "Not Good Enough").

So while on this 'summer break' from college, I went strolling through some of my 'older' images and attempted to exercise my creative muscles I toned during this past quarter and quarters prior.  I must say that the ability to change the image I had first taken into something more appealing (at least to me), made me smile a bit.

As from the post before this, I had images of Justin that I had 'thrown away' because of some sort of technical, esthetic, emotional, stupid reason and shelved them in the depths of my hard drive.


Taking the time to separate Justin from the background and using the tools I gathered in my Digital Illustration class, I was able to allow a more fatally flawed image to become a pretty good black and white portrait of a physically fit and handsome young man in his prime.

Not wanting to leave well enough alone, I went for another...


I did the same with the image above.  I took Justin from the background and manipulated both it and he separately.  I wanted to ensure I still was able to use the tools in my 'tool belt' and see if my new perspective on images made a difference on a shot that I would have formerly discarded as a misfortunate loss.

I know I should put up the original, but I don't want to spoil the imagery that I've created here.  I think that the law of primacy is in full effect here, and the image you all see first, will be the one you will remember best.  So to taint that image with my flaws, would be sad, IMHO.  I mean, if this was to be some sort of tutorial, I would gladly put up the originals and show the process of making the end product, like I did with "Something Old".

These are just about beautiful imagery to caress the eyes of the viewer who takes pleasure in them.


I was asked when I was going to take images of women like this.  I didn't want to answer.  I think there are SO many beautiful images of women out there in various stages of pose, dress, attitude, circumstance, lighting, color... that is exhausting.  There are few images of men that are as stunning as of women, so I would like to be one of those photographers that do the masculine form a bit of justice.

2 comments:

  1. They are so beautiful. Sensitive and yet masculine. You do incredible work, Carlos.

    It is a gift to work with you. An artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, cindy. I'm looking forward to looking forward and doing new and more exciting things. It's a pleasure to work with you as well. We have fun, and that makes "work" that much easier to deal with :D

    ReplyDelete