Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Watch THIS!

In order to really capture the amount of dislike I have for my Advanced Lighting class, I'd have to write this blog with the tip of my dry and calloused tongue after I dragged myself across my studio floor, hands tied behind my back, beat with a rusty tripod, nude.  And then doused with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, depending on the level of mercy my torturer contained.

So - the image I created for the "boxes" product shot had to be redone because it was dark, admittedly, but the composition wasn't to the teacher's liking.  He's the boss.  So, I reshot it and it 'barely' made the cut.  It'll be here after this entry.


Next, the black on black image of the skull was rejected for exceptionally minor lighting flaws, but mainly because the teacher didn't like the subject.  He never specified it had to be a black box-shaped object, or some other technical thing.  Just that it had to be 'visually interesting.'  And, since I had to reshoot it anyway, make it a black boring box presented in an interesting way.  No worries.  He's the boss.

Next assignment was to shoot a watch.  Yes, a watch.  These things seem like they'd be easy to capture on film since they are, by all practical means, still life.  They have to be set at either 1:50 am/pm (0150 / 1350 for you 24-hour types) or 10:10 am/pm (1010 / 2210 for you afore mentioned 24-hour types). This requires the battery to be removed, and to ensure the pin that sets the time is pushed in.  Also - it needs to be an analog timepiece of either the wrist or pocket watch variety.  The metal must be silver or gold, and can be shiny or brushed.  The watch should be presented in a pleasing way, well lit as to show all sides without darkness on its specular surfaces...

I have no idea if I did the right thing.  I guess we'll see when the critique comes, but holy hell...


No comments:

Post a Comment